Nike Air Force sneakers are expensive, and treating them wrong could reduce their quality.
The shoe materials are not durable against some washing procedures, and you could damage them.
The proper cleaning agents could help to whiten your shoes for a long time. It is best always to follow the ideal cleaning procedure so you don’t damage your sneakers.
You cannot put Air Forces in the washer and dryer. The heat and tumbling of the appliance would damage and shrink your shoes. If you put your air force sneakers in a washer or dryer, it would be best to use the cold setting and reduce the heat to the lowest. You would also need to put them in a laundry bag.
Can I Put My Nike Air Forces in the Washer?
No, you can’t put your Nike Air Forces in the washer because your sneakers are leather, and washing them in the washer can damage them.
The Nike Air Force sneakers manufacturers clearly state that the washer is wrong for the footwear.
Also, washing sneakers in your washer could damage the appliance itself. It is best to wash your sneakers by hand to preserve them.
However, there is a method to wash the sneakers in the washer without damaging them.
You can wash your Air Force sneakers in a washing machine by putting them in a protective bag like a mesh lingerie bag, material bag, and pillow case to protect their leather.
Make sure to remove the shoelaces before putting them in the bag. Avoid washing the sneakers with any other clothing or footwear.
Additionally, It is best to use mild cleaning agents to wash them and avoid running the wash cycle for long.
Finally, it would be best to avoid washing the sneakers in hot water; it could melt the glue holding the shoe. Instead, you can wash the shoelaces separately in soapy water.
You need to prepare your plastic shoe tree for this process so the sneakers do not get damaged.
Here is the washing machine’s guideline to wash your Nike Air Force.
- Remove your shoelaces and insert the shoe tree into the sneakers.
- Put the shoes in a protective bag, then add some mild cleaning agent.
- It is best to put a towel in the machine to minimize the movement of the shoes.
- Select the delicate cold water wash cycle because the heat could damage the shoes.
- Remove the shoes from the washers as soon as the wash cycle ends to avoid getting them smelly and moldy.
- Air dry the sneakers with the shoe tree inside them. The shoe tree would keep them in shape while they dry.
However, avoiding washing your shoes in a washer is best. You can alternate between hand washing and machine washing to preserve their quality.
Also, you should not wash your shoes in a washer if the soles look loose. If you are washing more than one pair, you should put them in different bags.
Can I Put Air Forces in the Dryer?
You can’t put Air Forces in the dryer because the heat in the dryer would damage them.
Nike Air Forces contain materials like leather that are sensitive to heat. As a result, the shoe’s leather material would heat up and shrink.
Also, the bonding glue in your shoes could melt under the dryer’s high temperature. As a result, the snicker’s appearance, fit, and durability deteriorate and render the shoe useless.
It is best to air dry your shoes and protect them from direct sunlight. The heat from the sunlight would have the same effect as a dryer on the shoes.
Also, the tumbling in the dryer would make the shoes wear and tear. You can also use a fan to blow dry the sneakers.
It may take a while to dry them, but it would help your shoes to last longer. If you are air drying them at average room temperature, make sure there is enough ventilation.
However, if you have no option but to put the shoes in the dryer, you should make sure the heat inside the dryer is at the lowest level.
It would be best if you put the shoes in a mesh bag or laundry bag to protect them from excessive heat and impact from tumbling.
It is best to tie the shoelaces together or hang the shoes from the dryer’s door.
Can You Dry Air Forces With a Hair Dryer?
No, you cannot dry Air Forces with a hair dryer because the heat could damage your shoes. Extreme heat could damage the shoe materials and the glue, causing your shoes to warp.
However, if you have to use a hair dryer on your Nike Air Forces, you should avoid exposing them to the heat for too long.
Additionally, you should not bring the hair dryer close to the shoes because it could cause a fire.
You must remove the shoelaces and bend the shoe’s tongue for easy access. It would be best if the hair dryer had a cold air setting.
Place the hair dryer within the range of ten to 15 inches away from the sneakers. Dry them for a few minutes, turn off the hair dryer, and then leave them to air dry.
How to Wash Your Nike Air Forces?
The best way to wash your Nike Air Forces is to spot-clean them because they won’t get wet. The wrong washing procedure can damage your shoes.
You should avoid soaking your shoes in water because it could make them grow mold and become smelly.
However, there are various ways to wash your Nike Air Forces effectively without damaging them. They include;
#1. Hand Wash
- Remove the shoelaces and clap the sneakers outdoors to break dirt stuck in the soles.
- Use a soft bristle brush to remove caked-on mud. Then, insert shoe trees into the shoes.
- Add some sneaker cleaner into a bowl of water and mix it.
- Use your soft brush to apply the cleaning solution to the sneakers.
- Scrub clean every part of the sneakers in slow circular motions, including the tongue, heel, and midsole. Start from the top to the bottom of the shoes.
- Clean the soap and water off the shoes with a wet microfiber cloth. Keep rinsing and squeezing the cloth till you wipe the shoes clean.
- Put the sneakers to air dry due to inadequate ventilation.
#2. Spot Clean
Using the spot clean method, the best way to keep the sneakers clean is to clean them after you wear them every time.
Spot cleaning the shoes can preserve them for a long time because you won’t have to get them wet.
Here is the procedure for spot washing your Nike Air Forces sneakers.
- Insert a shoe tree into each of the shoes.
- Clean the entire shoe with a wet microfiber cloth.
- Mix some detergent or sneaker cleaner with water. Use a soft brush to apply the mixture and gently scrub any dirty spots.
- Soak up any excess soapy water with the microfiber cloth.
- Leave the shoes to air dry properly before wearing them again or storing them.
The spot clean method may seem stressful while cleaning the sneakers. First, however, it is essential to identify the pros and cons between the hand and spot wash methods to choose the one you prefer.
#3. Removing Odor
The best way to prevent your sneakers from having odor is to wear socks and store the shoes in a place with adequate ventilation.
If the sneakers become smelly, you can use some baking soda to remove the odor.
Baking soda absorbs the odor and leaves your shoes smelling fresh. Store the shoes with a bowl of baking soda in an airtight container for 24 hours
You can also put some baking soda inside the shoes for 24 hours for more effective results. After 24 hours of baking soda, you can proceed to wash the sneakers.
To avoid making your shoes smelly, you can use cedarwood shoe trees whenever you store your shoes.
The cedarwood would absolve any moisture in the shoes and prevent them from smelling terrible.
#4. Removing Tough Stains
Tough stains may not come off if you use a soft bristle brush on your sneaker; therefore, you may need to switch to a more vigorous brush.
You could also use a magic eraser for a more effective result. Another method to remove tough stains is using white non-gel toothpaste or mixing the toothpaste with baking soda.
To use the toothpaste, apply some to the stain and rub it with small circular motions. Next, use a wet toothbrush to slowly scrub the spot and wipe it clean with a soft wet cloth.
You can add some baking soda to the toothpaste to make it more effective. You should avoid scrubbing too hard so you don’t damage the shoe material.
#5. Removing Yellow Stains
- Mix some baking soda and white vinegar into a paste.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to apply the paste to the shoe.
- Rub the paste in slow circular motions, then leave it for five minutes.
- Wipe off the paste, which is now dry, and flak it with a damp microfiber cloth.
- You can also use lemon juice to remove yellow stains from the sneakers. The lemon juice also acts as a deodorizer and keeps the shoes fresh.
#6. Cleaning the Shoelaces
You can clean your shoelaces with warm water and some cleaning agent. You can also soak them in some cleaning solution and wash them later.
Soaking them in bleach and detergent for 60 minutes would effectively clean extremely dirty shoelaces. Air dry your laces separately before putting them back into the shoes.
In the end, Nike Air Force shoes do not require much cleaning effort. Following the correct procedure and principle would not require you to spend much time cleaning your shoes.
However, it is best to constantly clean them after every wear to prevent the stains from worsening.