A water filter is among other refrigerator components that help preserve the quality and taste of refrigerator water.
Also, it helps prevent odor in your fridge and keeps it smelling fresh all day. However, it is essential to regularly clean or unclog the water filter to prevent odor and other undesirable situations.
Consequently, what should you do if you can’t remove the water filter from your whirlpool refrigerator?
It would be best to place a soft cloth around the water filter and gently use a strong plier to hold the filter cap firmly. Then, carefully and gradually turn the cap counterclockwise using the plier. Meanwhile, if its cap gets broken, you’ll need to use a flathead screwdriver to bring out the water filter.
How to Remove a Stuck Water Filter From a Whirlpool Refrigerator?
Knowing where the position of the water filter in your whirlpool refrigerator is vital before looking to remove them.
It helps in saving time and stress from ransacking every part of your refrigerator trying to locate its water filter.
Although, most refrigerators have water filters beside their grille area at the front of the machine.
However, some refrigerators have their water filter located in the interior part of the cooling appliance.
But, it’s not always like that in all whirlpool refrigerators, so find out about it from your appliance operator’s manual.
Meanwhile, it is easy to remove and fix water filters that are in the grille area. They’re generally easy to detach and install but might not remove if you did not swerve them correctly.
Below are several methods of removing stuck water filters from a whirlpool refrigerator, depending on their location in the appliance.
Nonetheless, if these methods don’t work out immediately, you’ll have to try them several times. So keep doing this until you can be unstuck and remove the water filter.
In addition to that, here’s a further explanation of the methods above for removing stuck water filters. It is essential to follow the process of each method accordingly.
Following the step helps avoid wasting time and energy before successfully detaching the water filter from its enclosure.
#1. Quarter Turn Filter
Quarter-turning a filter is the most basic way to remove a grille-mounted water filter. You do not need lots of tools for the job.
On the other hand, you may require a plier if it’s stuck and not turning quickly. As mentioned earlier, removing water filters that are beside the grille area is quite simple to do.
First, you have to bend the water filter cap to the point that it’s aligning vertically. Then, at that point, you need to grab the filter and remove it with a bit of force.
Afterward, you can easily detach the water filter cap and proceed with whatever you have in mind to do with it.
#2. How to Generally Remove a Grille Mounted Stuck Water Filter?
Removing a stuck water filter requires extreme carefulness to avoid destroying the filter when trying to remove it.
You need soft fabric like a towel or rag, a plier, and some basic skills to do this.
- Cover the water filter cap with a soft towel or rag to avoid destroying it while turning.
- Tighten the cap carefully with a plier and follow the process explained above in quarter-turning a filter.
- Remove the refrigerator from the socket (electricity power source) and obey the manufacturer’s installation instructions on the product’s manual.
#3. How to Remove a Stuck Push Button Water Filter?
Look for the filter button on the base grill of the refrigerator and gently press the water filter button.
Do this till the water filter gets detached from its assembly and gently remove it from the filter panel.
#4. How to Remove a Stuck Water Filter That’s Situated Inside The Refrigerator?
Removing a stuck water filter that’s in the refrigerator is relatively easy to do as it doesn’t contain lots of processes.
Below is how to do this:
- Unlock the filter enclosure door
- Then lock the door
- Reopen it entirely and let it be on an upward path
- Close the water supply to the refrigerator and collect some cups of water to reduce the pressure from the water line
- Then, you can easily detach the water filter with minimal effort
- Afterward, lock the filter compartment door and open the water supply to the refrigerator.
#5. Pull Tab Stuck Water Filter
To remove a water fill that you need to pull before removing it, then follow the process below:
- Completely open the water filter enclosure door and bring the shelf beside it if necessary.
- Swerve the water filter counterclockwise in the left direction and pull it out immediately.
- Do this several times if it didn’t remove till you achieve your desired result.
How to Remove Whirlpool Water Filter Without Cap?
The Water filter cap can get broken when you’re struggling to remove the filter, which may prevent you from quickly accessing the filter.
To avoid destroying or breaking your water filter cap, we advise that you exercise extreme carefulness when handling it.
However, what happens when you want to remove the whirlpool refrigerator’s water filter without a cap?
To avoid getting frustrated when trying to remove the whirlpool water filter without a cap, follow the process below:
- First, get a good, flat solid head screwdriver.
- Then, focus and look through the side to know where to begin.
- Insert the screwdriver at the little hole where it can fit into the remnant side of the broken filter
- Gently lock the screwdriver into the hole and gradually use it to drag the water filter out. Do this gradually till you drag it to a point where you can use your hand to pull it out completely.
Tips For Removing Whirlpool Refrigerator Water Filter
You need to be cautious when removing your whirlpool refrigerator water filter. It would help if you were careful to prevent destroying or damaging the water filter or the water cap.
Also, high pressure could weaken or even destroy the entire internal water system. Below are the tips for removing your whirlpool refrigerator water filter:
- Apply slight pressure throughout the removal process
- Make use of quality, excellent and standard tools(i.e., plier and flat head screwdriver)
- Obey manufacturer instructions where necessary.
- Unplug the refrigerator from the electrical socket before trying to remove the filter to prevent electrocution.
- Open the water filter compartment door(enclosure) completely before trying to remove the water filter.
How to Change Water Filter In Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator?
Changing the water filter in the whirlpool French door refrigerator is easy and not as daunting as it seems.
You can easily change it even without having any technical knowledge about appliances. Below are the simple procedures to change the water filter in a whirlpool French door refrigerator.
- Unplug the refrigerator from the electric power source or circuit breaker to prevent electrocution of any sort.
- Open the water filter compartment door and remove the filter using any of the methods mentioned above. The removal process should also depend on where its located.
- Remove the packaging container that comes with the new water filter. Then, remove the orange cap that’s at the bottom.
- Line up the new filter notches with the filter base notches. Afterward, gently thrust the new water filter forward till the notches on its base touch the filter wall.
- Hold it firmly and turn clockwise (to the right) till it stops moving and fits in perfectly. After that, close the water filter compartment door.
- Run some cups/gallons of water through the water line to flush out any carbon particles that may come loose in shipment.
Meanwhile, changing the water filter after every 6 months is crucial. Also, remove the water filter, remove dirt, and thoroughly rinse regularly.
A stuck water filter can be frustrating to remove from your whirlpool refrigerator when necessary.
However, with the methods mentioned above, you should be able to do that effortlessly with minimal stress.
Also, you can replace your water filter by screwing the new one in its enclosure location after removing the old one.