Streaming experiences on the Vizio SmartCast TV can be seamless, especially when viewing your favorite apps. That’s the fun of streaming.
No one would enjoy streaming apps that they don’t fancy. That would seem like torture. So, the best remedy is adding your favorite apps, and you’re good.
Vizio moved to make streaming easy for its customers. So the TV’s app list shows all available applications. What if the app isn’t there?
You can add apps not on your Vizio SmartCast TV app list via Chromecast or AirPlay. But that’s only possible if the app supports Chromecast or AirPlay. Then you can download the app on your mobile device and cast it to your SmartCast TV. Also, Vizio regularly updates applications and adds them when your TV has an internet connection.
How Do I Add Apps to My Vizio SmartCast?
It’s a simple task to add apps to your Vizio SmartCast TV using your Android or iOS device. Once your device is at hand, and you have an internet connection, you’re well on your way! You can add the apps you like using the Chromecast or AirPlay features.
Please, follow the steps below to add apps to your Vizio SmartCast TV using the Chromecast feature.
Step 1 – Connect Your Devices to the Internet
Ensure your Vizio SmartCast TV has an excellent internet connection. The same goes for your Android or iOS devices. You don’t want lags or connection breaking during the process.
You can connect your Vizio SmartCast TV to a wireless network or an Ethernet cable. The Ethernet cable is often more reliable than WiFi.
So, you can use that option if it’s available to you. Then, plug the Ethernet cable into your TV’s Ethernet port, and you’ll have a solid internet connection.
Step 2 – Ensure the App You Want to Add Supports Chromecast
You won’t be able to add any app to your Vizio SmartCast TV unless the app supports Chromecast. So, you can search for the app on the Google Chromecast page to confirm that.
Type the name of the app you want to add in the search bar. Then, you can get the app on your mobile device’s app store if you get a search result.
Please, confirm that the app you want to add to your Vizio SmartCast TV supports Chromecast here.
Step 3 – Launch the App Store Platform on Your Mobile Device
Launch the app store on your Android or iOS device. That’s Google Play Store for Android or App Store for your iOS device.
Step 4 – Search for and Install the App
After you launch your app store, please search for the Chromecast-enabled app and install it. Then, wait a moment for the installation process to complete.
Step 5 – Launch the App and Cast it to Your Vizio SmartCast TV.
Scroll through the app list on your mobile device and launch the app you just installed. Once it launches, find the Cast icon on the app’s screen and tap it.
Once you tap the Cast icon, the available devices appear on your mobile device’s screen. Search for your Vizio SmartCast TV among the devices and tap on the name.
After you tap the TV name, the app you installed on your mobile device will appear on the TV. Well done! You’ve successfully added an app to your Vizio SmartCast TV.
You can now enjoy streaming your favorite app as much as you like. Note that for the AirPlay feature, you’d have to find the AirPlay icon in the app, not the Cast icon.
That’s because adding apps to your SmartCast TV via AirPlay is similar to Chromecast until that point.
Where Is App Store On Vizio TV?
You can easily access the apps on your SmartCast TV using the TV remote.
Then, you’ll be able to navigate and see all the available apps on your TV.
- Press the “Home” button on your TV remote. You can also use the V key and “Input” or “Menu” buttons. That’s if the remote for your TV model doesn’t have a home button.
- Select “SmartCast” on the next screen.
- Navigate to the app section and select “All Available Apps.” That will display all the apps available to you on the SmartCast platform. No need to download any app there.
- Scroll through the app list and select the app you wish to use. That will take you to a login page on the next screen.
- Please enter your account information to enjoy streaming the selected app.
Vizio regularly updates your SmartCast TV to add new features and applications. So, that helps to grow the app list with every update. But the update process is automatic.
You don’t have to keep watch for updates and install them manually. Instead, your Vizio SmartCast TV will download the updates on its own if it’s connected to the internet.
Isn’t that awesome? But remember, you can always use your TV’s Chromecast or AirPlay features to add apps that aren’t on the app list.
Why Won’t My Vizio TV Let Me Add Apps?
Your Vizio SmartCast TV may not allow you to add an app because the app doesn’t support Chromecast. The platform on your Vizio TV also decides if you can add apps or not.
Here are the common Vizio TV platforms limit apps on your TV.
|Vizio TV Platform||Year|
|Vizio SmartCast 4K UHD TVs||2016 to 2017|
|Vizio SmartCast HD TVs||2016 to 2017|
|Vizio Internet Apps Plus (VIA Plus)||2013 to 2017|
|Vizio Internet Apps (VIA)||Before 2013.|
You get apps from the Connected TV store for the Vizio SmartCast HD and Internet Apps Plus (VIA Plus). So you won’t be installing apps externally.
But you can still cast apps from your Android or iOS device to enjoy them on your Vizio TV.
How Do I Add Apps to My Vizio Smart TV That Are Listed as No V Button?
There are four methods you can check to add apps to your Vizio SmartCast TV without a “V” button. But the method that works for you depends on the model of your Vizio TV.
Try the methods below to add apps to your Vizio SmartCast TV without a “V” button.
#1. Add Apps with the VIA Plus Platform
- Power on your Vizio TV and ensure it has an excellent internet connection (WiFi or Ethernet cable).
- Press the “Home” button twice to reveal the VIA app interface. Then select “All Apps.”
- Scroll through the app list to find the app you want to install.
- Highlight the app and press “OK” on the remote.
- Wait for the app to install and that completes the process.
Note that Vizio TVs released from 2013 to 2017 work with the Vizio Internet Apps Plus platform.
#2. Sideload Apps to Your Vizio Smart TV
Sideloading allows you to install apps on your Vizio SmartCast TV from trusted third-party sources. You can download the APK file for your desired app and install it on your Vizio TV.
But the app won’t work unless compatible with your Vizio SmartCast TV. Here’s how to sideload apps to your Vizio Smart TV.
- Launch the browser on your PC and navigate to a trusted site for APK files.
- Please search for the app you want to install and download its APK file.
- Connect a flash drive to your PC, send the APK file, and eject the flash drive.
- Power off your Vizio TV and unplug the power cord from the outlet.
- Insert the flash drive into the USB port on the TV.
- Return the power cord to the outlet and power on the TV.
- Install the APK file once your Smart TV detects the flash drive.
- When the installation is complete, check if the app is on your TV’s app list.
#3. Cast Apps from Your Android or iOS Device Using Chromecast
- Connect your mobile device and Vizio TV to the internet.
- Launch the app you want to cast and log in to your account.
- Find the Cast icon on the app’s screen and tap it.
- Please scroll through the list of available devices for the name of your Vizio TV and select it. The app will now appear on your Vizio SmartCast TV.
#4. Cast Apps from Your PC
- Connect your PC and Vizio TV to the internet.
- Launch the Chrome browser on your PC.
- Make your way to the website of the streaming service you want to cast.
- Tap the three dots at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Select “Cast” from the dropdown options and choose your Vizio TV on the list of available devices.
- The streaming service will now appear on your Vizio SmartCast TV.
How Do I Update My Old Vizio TV?
The update process is automatic if your Vizio is a smart TV. But that can only happen when the TV has an internet connection.
Your TV will have an outdated OS if it’s been without an internet connection for a long time. So, you may face a hiccup with updating the TV’s firmware when you connect it to the internet.
That’s not the end of the line. You can still proceed to download the update manually and install it. But if your Vizio isn’t a smart TV, you can’t update its firmware.
Please, follow the steps below to update your old smart Vizio TV.
- Connect your Vizio TV to the internet. You can choose to use WiFi or an Ethernet cable if you have one.
- Press the “V” button on the TV remote to access the Menu.
- Select “System,” then scroll to “Check for Updates” and select the option.
- Wait as your Vizio TV discovers and downloads all the available updates.
- After discovering all available updates, your Vizio TV will show them on the screen.
- Confirm download and installation for all the updates on your TV screen. Your Vizio TV will restart when the downloads are complete.
- Your Vizio TV will continue installing all the updates after the restart.
- After installing all the updates, your Vizio TV will restart again. After that, your TV will have the latest firmware available to you.
You can add apps to your Vizio SmartCast TV via Chromecast and AirPlay features on Android or iOS devices. But the app must support Chromecast or AirPlay.
Otherwise, you won’t be able to add the app to your Vizio TV. Also, Vizio often releases updates for applications. So you’ll get new apps on the list with each update.