Beverage brewing systems like Keurig have gradually become indispensable in homes with coffee lovers.
But of course, things can go wrong sometimes, and you may notice abnormal occurrences such as a persistent descale light display.
This perturbing occurrence is usually a result of some internal and external issues. Don’t panic. This article will walk you through and give you deep insights.
The most common reason your Keurig descale light won’t turn off is a clog in the system, especially on the Keurig needle. After prolonged usage, debris and build-ups can accumulate in the system and cause a decrease in water flow pressure. But likewise, hindrances in the tubes can be the culprit.
Why Won’t My Keurig Descale Light Turn Off?
If you’re having issues with your descale light not turning off, it’s most likely a hindrance somewhere. It could be on the Keurig needle or around the system, like the tubes.
These hindrances could be dirt, debris, or even build-up, including mineral deposits. And obstructions like mineral deposits usually result from hard water circulation.
Due to these build-ups, the water flow pressure decreases, indicating something is wrong.
Such signs usually require you to descale the system to eliminate the build-ups (calcium, lime, and other minerals) that may have built up over time.
Descaling will help keep your Keurig running at its best and enhance its efficiency.
It’s usually done monthly or after every 50 coffee cups. The frequency of descaling will depend on your water hardness.
If you live in an area where the water has a high mineral content, you may need to descale more often than if you live in an area with soft water.
Subsequently, you should pour water into the reservoir and add white vinegar. This mixture will help break down any residue that might have built up inside your Keurig coffee maker.
The vinegar will also help remove any odors coming from your coffee maker. Note that the Keurig machine clogs can also be because of the accumulation of coffee grounds and oils.
Yes, apart from mineral build-up, when oils and coffee particles accumulate for too long, they form clogs and cause obstruction. You can find such particles in the tubes or guts.
In addition, always inspect and check the refillable k-cups anytime you notice any descaling light scenario. The reason is there might be a possibility of overpacking.
Anytime you over-pack the pods with coffee, water flow is limited; thus, the descale light is triggered.
Additionally, as a guide to refilling k-cups, always avoid overfilling to prevent any descale light scenario.
Altogether, you can see that everything about the descale light narrows down to ensuring there’s efficient water flow pressure.
There should be no clog, hindrance, or overpacked k-cup. Below is an overview of some clog factors and their solutions.
Factors and Solutions
#1. Blocked Water Line
To fix a blocked water line, run hot water through the machine and brew with white vinegar or baking soda solution.
#2. A Dirty Water Tank
To take care of this clogged factor, you’ll need regular inspections and cleaning .normalize the use of filtered water.
#3. Excess Mineral Build-up
Avoid using hard water to prevent the deposition of hard minerals.
#4. Improper Usage
Utilize one k-cup at a time, and be sure to rinse before putting them into the brewer.
How Do I Get My Keurig Out of Descale Mode?
Getting your Keurig coffee machine out of descaling mode requires you to eliminate any clog or obstruction. The process slightly varies depending on your model.
While the descaling mode on some models requires activation before any descaling can occur, others don’t need any descaling mode activation.
Likewise, when it comes to descaling Keurig coffee machines, I always recommend that users consult their instruction manuals to know the specific procedure.
Nevertheless, I have two alternatives for you, irrespective of the different models.
#1. Alternative One- Using a Descaling Solution
Here would help if you prepared a glass cup, a bottle of Keurig descaling solution, and an accessible sink.
Before you begin, set aside the water filter and ensure the reservoir is void.
Follow the procedures below.
- Disconnect the machine from the mains.
- Empty the descaling solution in the reservoir. Then, rinse the descaling solution bottle with fresh water and dispose of it in the reservoir.
- Reconnect the Keurig to the mains and start it up.
- Place the glass cup beneath the dispenser; brew a glass of hot water.
- Eliminate the water in the cup- pour it into the sink. Continue brewing with hot water until there’s not enough water in the reservoir.
- Gargle and clean the water reservoir and refill it with pure water. Then, brew a glass of pure water afresh and dispose of it.
#2. Alternative Two- Using Water and Vinegar
Vinegar is another effective alternative because it helps nullify build-ups and prevent bad odor. Follow the steps below to utilize this alternative.
- Disconnect the Keurig coffee machine from the mains.
- Disassemble the machine and clean up its detachable parts, including the drip tray and the k-cup holder. You should utilize warm water with any disinfecting soap.
- After cleaning and ensuring that all the disassembled parts are dried, put everything back together and switch on the machine.
- Fill the water reservoir with an equal proportion of water and vinegar; brew until the solution becomes insufficient.
- Clean the reservoir and refill it with pure water. After that, brew once again to clean off the vinegar solution.
You can use any preferable alternatives for the descaling. But should in case the descale light still illuminates, it’s most likely your model only descales when the descaling mode is activated.
For instance, in the k-slim and k-supreme models, you’ll need to hold the 8 and 12 ounces knobs together for about three seconds.
This action will activate the descale mode. Subsequently, the descale light will go off after you descale the machine with any descaling alternative.
How Do I Clear the Descale Message on My Keurig Supreme?
Clearing the descale message on your Keurig supreme requires you to descale the machine.
But the process here is unique because you must activate the descale mode before descaling. Before you start, ensure that the reservoir is void and the k-cup is absent.
Likewise, prepare a ceramic cup or bowl and a keg of Keurig descaling solution.
Then, carefully follow each step below.
- Disconnect the machine from the mains-there should be no power supply.
- Place the ceramic cup beneath the dispenser and reconnect the machine to the mains but don’t turn it on.
- Hold the 8 and 12-ounce knobs together for about 2-4 seconds. This action will initiate the descale mode; the machine will power on itself, and a button light should display.
- Empty the descaling solution into the reservoir and start brewing. Brew until the solution is insufficient. Note that it’s okay to add another descaling solution and brew again.
- After brewing, the light should go off. Then, carefully rinse the reservoir.
- Refill the reservoir with pure water and brew again to eliminate the system’s solution.
How Do I Force My Keurig to Reboot?
One of the most common problems with Keurig is when it doesn’t work as it should. Such scenarios can occur due to electrical power outages or jammed pods inside the machine.
In these cases, you will need to force the Keurig to reboot to make it work again. You can use these steps below.
- Switch off the machine using the power knob and disconnect it from the power outlet. This process will reset the computer and solve some basic problems.
- Disengage the reservoir and wait for some time, then attach it back
- Reconnect the machine and switch it on. By now, everything should go back to normal. You can likewise open and shut the pod carrier.
How Do I Reset My Keurig Duo after Descaling?
The Keurig duo model is seemingly different from the other models; thus, the resetting process here is slightly different. You must first descale the system before thinking of resetting.
Follow the procedures below to perform the reset.
- Turn off the machine.
- Hold the 8 and 10-ounces knobs together for about 2-4 seconds. After that, the reset is complete, and the light should deactivate itself.
Differences Between Descaling and Resetting a Keriug Duo
|During descaling, you clean the fridge.
|A reset cannot clean a refrigerator.
|Cannot fix internal system malfunctions.
|It can sometimes fix system malfunctions.
Clogs and jams are the commonest reasons for descaling light displays in Keurig coffee machines. Thus, don’t assume that the coffee machine is damaged and needs replacement.
As a precautionary measure, Keurig recommends descaling your brewer every 3 months to eliminate mineral build-up and keep the water tank debris free.