Last updated on September 19th, 2022 at 03:54 pm
Almost all modern Maytag Bravos washing machines have the sensor feature. Therefore, it is a must-have if you plan on saving water when washing. But it can be a real headache when your device gets stuck on the sensing feature for hours.
If your washer doesn’t go past the sensing cycle, you may have to reset your washing machine. But before doing that, let us find out why your Maytag Bravos washer is stuck on sensing.
When your Maytag Bravos washing machine is stuck on sensing, it means you might have jammed your keypad. Your washer would also stay on the sensing mode if you changed a washer component and forgot to reset the cycle codes.
Why Is My Maytag Washer Stuck on Sensing?
There are many reasons your Maytag Bravo washer is stuck in sensing mode. But the most common cause is usually a jammed control keypad or cycle codes not reset after replacing a part.
To repair this fault, go through your Maytag manual and follow the instructions to reset your Maytag bravos washer. You must replace the whole panel if this doesn’t fix the problem.
Some other causes related to the sensor malfunction are:
#1. Sensor Light Flashing
If your Maytag washer sensing light is repeatedly flashing, it is usually because of an obstacle hindering the washer’s tub from communicating with the engine.
Another likely cause is the shift actuator. It controls the transmission part of the washer. If there is a damaged shift actuator, it needs replacement.
If you will service the issue yourself, ensure to unplug your Maytag washer from the power outlet and turn off the water source to avoid leaks.
Remove the belt guard to access the faulty shift actuator and replace it with a new shift actuator. Ensure you tightly screw it in place.
#2. Sensing Light on Lid Lock Blinking
It could be due to a problem with the washer. If the shift actuator is defective, it could also cause the lid switch light to flash continuously.
Check the manual for the error codes and run a diagnostic test on the washer. If the error code shows an issue with the shift actuator, replace the damaged shift actuator.
#3. Sensor Light Not Working
If your Maytag washer sensing light is not working, your control panel may malfunction. It could also result from not restoring the error codes after changing a component in your washer.
To fix this problem, run a test on the error codes. The control unit is defective if the error codes blink after running the test. Next, consult a washer technician to replace the control panel.
What Does It Mean When a Washing Machine Says Sensing?
When you press the Start/Stop button, the washer fills, senses, and estimates the load size. The sensing spins often take two to three minutes before adding water to the load.
After it completes the sensing, it will fill the water to the correct level and start the wash cycle.
The sensing light will start flashing, which is quite normal. But the washer is stuck on sensing if the light blinks for a long time. This is usually because of a faulty sensor, shift actuator, or load size.
What To Do if My Washer Is Stuck on Sensing?
#1. Reset the Washer
To fix your Maytag washer stuck on sensing, reset the washer. Before resetting the washer, check your manual for instructions. Once you reset your washer, test it to be sure it works.
#2. Clean the Drain Pump
Check your drain pump to ensure that lint, dirt, or foreign objects do not block it and prevent the washer from moving from the sensing cycle.
Here are simple steps to clean the drain pump:
- Your drain pump is at the bottom of the washer. Once you have located it, unscrew the screw holding it down and clean out the dirt stuck in it.
- Put the drain pump back in place, restart the wash cycle and ensure the sensor works.
How Do You Reset The Sensor on a Maytag Washer?
If you forgot to reset your Maytag washer after replacing a part during repair, resetting is advisable to keep your washer from getting stuck on sending.
Ensure your washer is not operating and is empty before trying any of the reset methods mentioned below.
To reset your Maytag washer:
- Disconnect the washer from the power source for three minutes. This allows the electric charge to dissipate.
- Repeat the process if it doesn’t reset, but increase disconnection time to ten minutes.
If this method fails, try out any of the following methods to reset your Maytag bravos washer:
#1. Power Reset
The power reset is another method of resetting your Maytag washer:
- Press the Pause/Cancel keypad on your Maytag washer, select the correct cycle, and press the Start/Pause button
This method will help you clear errors and move the washer to the following process.
Though this may reset your washer, ensure to find out the cause of the problem and correct it to prevent it from reoccurring.
#2. The Lid Lift Reset
If you own a Maytag top-load washer, you should be able to reset using the following method:
- The lift lid reset is a timed method. Make sure you have a timer at hand before you begin.
- Disconnect the washer from the power source for one minute.
- Plug the washer back into a power source
- Open the lid and close it six times for 12 seconds.
- Make sure to cover the lid properly each time you open it.
#3. Main Dial Reset
If your Maytag bravos washer has a dial, try this method:
- First, ensure the main dial is at its ‘normal’ position.
- Next, turn the dial anti-clockwise and make a full rotation back to the ‘normal’ point.
- Then move the dial clockwise for three settings. It should be in a 3 o’clock position at this point.
- Again, Move it in a clockwise position and then an anti-clockwise one. It will take it back to a 3 o’clock point.
- Once you have done this, the lights below the dial will flash.
- Repeat the process at different speeds if it doesn’t flash until the light indicator blinks.
- Then press the Start button to calibrate the machine and reset the error codes.
#4. LED Display Reset
This reset method mainly works for heavy-duty commercial washing machines like the Maytag coin-operated washing machine:
- Set your washer to program mode by opening the lockbox.
- Go to the washing options, press and hold the Delicates and Knits button for a few seconds.
- The LED display will start blinking. It signifies that the codes of the washer are now reset.
- Set the screen back to the standard display by pressing any button and shutting the lockbox.
#5. Error Codes in a Maytag Washer
You can resolve most of the issues by resetting your Maytag washing machine. They are:
This error code responds to a power/electricity failure when your machine runs.
It is a ‘Primary Control Failure’ code. When this comes on, it may require replacing the defective component.
This error code occurs when you press the incorrect button during the diagnostic mode. It also displays if a button is jammed.
An error code(F22) appears on the Display if the thermistor is open.
Displays when there is a short circuit In the thermistor.
F28 code blinks when the water sensor opens in diagnostic mode.
There are a few other codes in Maytag washers, especially front-load washers, including:
- Det (No Detergent Cartridge in the Despenser)
- int (Paused or Canceled Cycle).
- LOC (Activated Control Lock)
Maytag Bravo washing machines are durable and long-lasting, but problems can arise during their use, just like all other washer brands.
For example, a Maytag Bravos washer stuck on sensing results from a jammed control keypad.
However, these problems are easy to repair. If none of the issues solutions work, call a specialist to investigate the situation.