Washing dishes is tasking. Not only because it involves physical prowess to some extent, but because it also requires mental stability because some stains can be frustrating to wash off.
Some plates can be tough to wash because of certain tough stains. So, in such conditions, you may wonder whether it’s safe to use bleach in cleaning such plates.
Well, you can use bleach to wash dishes. But there are certain cases where you shouldn’t use it. Things to know include; bleach is a good sanitizer, is used for removing tough stains, and may lead to the formation of superbugs. There are many others, and I’ll be listing eight more.
11 Things To Know About Washing Dishes With Bleach
#1. Bleach is a good sanitizer:
The benefit of using bleach to wash dishes is for sanitizing the dishes.
Sanitizing dishes helps remove remnants of food particles and dirt from dishes making them more clean and hygienic for use.
Sanitizing dishes with bleach is also beneficial in killing various disease-causing pathogens and microbes that may remain on dishes if bleach is not used.
Also, when sanitizing dishes, you should soak the mugs in bleach diluted with water for some minutes before they are finally rinsed and prepared for storage.
This is because the cups have direct contact with the body. Therefore, they need to be sanitized more and adequately.
#2. Bleach is used for removing tough stains:
Bleach is used on dishes to remove tough stains that ordinary dishwashing liquids cannot remove.
Dishes can have stains from foods they have been used with; when bleach is used, the stains are removed from the plates.
Stains on dishes could be from oil-containing foods and sometimes from other sources.
When stains are difficult to remove from dishes, it is best to soak the dishes in the bleach for a longer time.
However, the bleach should not be used directly on the dishes without diluting water. Instead, you should add the bleach to water before the dishes are washed or are soaked (for dishes with adamant stains).
When diluting bleach for washing dishes, it is essential to know that more water is needed to cut the bleach.
Using an equal volume of water as the bleach will not be safe for use, especially since food will be exposed to the dishes after they are washed.
In addition, when the bleach is not diluted properly, it sticks to dishes.
For example, when one-third (⅓) quantity of bleach is to be used, you should use 1 gallon of water in diluting it.
When using two tablespoons of bleach, you should cut it with one-quarter water. The critical thing to note is, that you should use more water in diluting bleach to reduce its potency on the dishes.
#3. Bleach may lead to the formation of superbugs:
When bleach is used on dishes for a long time, superbugs are formed. Superbugs are pathogens that grow resistant to the effects of bleach.
The bleach does not affect them any longer, even without the bleach expiring or the potency of the bleach reducing.
The pathogens become resistant to the bleach as the same bleach is used over time.
#4. Bleach is used on dishes for thorough cleaning of dishes:
When dishes are washed with bleach, they become thoroughly clean. As mentioned earlier, using bleach to wash dishes will remove dirt; this will help keep the dishes thoroughly clean.
#5. It would be best if you did not use bleach and dishwashing soap simultaneously:
When washing dishes with bleach, it is best to wash the dishes first with the dishwashing liquid before using the bleach to clean the dishes.
This is because when the soap/dishwashing liquid is used simultaneously or mixed with the bleach, the potency of the bleach is reduced.
When bleach and dish soap are mixed, toxic gasses are formed.
Especially when the bleach is chlorine bleach, the chemicals in the soap react with the chlorine in the bleach to form chloramine; the effect is a vapor that is dangerous to the health and even to the skin.
Aside from being toxic to the skin, mixing bleach and dishwashing soap produces a horrible smell that pollutes the air in the entire environment.
In addition, the atmosphere is polluted from fumes that are formed in the process of mixing bleach and washing soap.
#6. Bleach does not affect salmonella:
Salmonella is highly resistant to bleach on dishes. Therefore, using bleach to wash dishes will not affect salmonella because of its resistance.
Consequently, it is imperative to get other means of removing salmonella if they are on the plates.
Another way of preventing salmonella from being on dishes is the proper disposal of food remnants.
This prevents the food particles from being contaminated in the dishes, thereby preventing the formation of salmonella.
When the food remnants are already infected, a way out of this is by disposing of the food away and using hot water to wash the plate.
#7. Bleach has detrimental effects on the skin:
The chemicals in bleach have harmful effects on the skin. Although it is dangerous, the bleach results on the skin come from continuous usage and using the bleach in washing dishes over a long time.
Irritation is the most common effect of bleach on the skin. Subsequent use of bleach for washing dishes also affects the eyes and the nerves.
Basically, for the skin, the effect often burns. Therefore, the best possible means of reversing the effect of bleach on the skin is by diluting the bleach with plenty of water before washing the dishes.
#8. Rinse dishes after washing with bleach:
Bleach is not consumable because it has dangerous health effects; hence, it is essential to rinse the bleach off the dishes after rinsing them in bleach.
When dishes are washed and not appropriately rinsed after rinsing in bleach, the bleach sticks to the dishes and makes them not safe for use.
#9. Dilute bleach with lukewarm water:
When using water to dilute bleach, the suitable water to use is lukewarm.
For example, using hot water to cut bleach for washing dishes will make the bleach ineffective or reduce its potency.
Lukewarm water is suitable because it has no detrimental effects on the bleach.
Apart from the effects of bleach on the skin and the eyes, bleach also affects the dishes when used over a long period.
The result of bleach on dishes is that it makes the plates pale, and in most cases, they tend to spoil and break easier.
#10. Avoid washing metal plates with bleach:
When metals are included in the dishes, it is best to separate the metal dishes from the others before washing.
When metal dishes are washed with bleach, they are exposed to corrosion.
This is often because bleach reacts quickly with metals; the effect is often total damage to the dishes.
Bleach contains Sodium hypochlorite, and this causes rusting in metals. Therefore, when bleach is continuously used in washing dishes, especially metal ones, they rust and become useless with time.
#11. More chances of food poisoning:
Using bleach to wash dishes will increase the chances of food poisoning, especially when the dishes are not rinsed adequately after cleaning with the bleach.
When bleach is not thoroughly rinsed from the plates after washing, the bleach will stick to the dishes and may cause a reaction when consumed with food.
Poisoning is often prone to cups and mugs that are cleaned with bleach.
The bleach easily mixes up with water and, when consumed, causes life-threatening challenges, especially when consumed in large quantities.
In addition, when bleach is consumed in food or water, there is an upset in the gastrointestinal tract, which causes vomiting or diarrhea.
It is essential to know about something before using it, especially when it is to be used in a household.
For example, bleach is beneficial for the household and is vital for adequately cleaning dishes.
Essential things you need to know about using bleach to wash dishes and the right ways of using bleach on dishes are contained in this article.